Here is the list of frequently asked questions and answers about the UX tour of China
1. Who is this tour for?
The China UX tour is suitable for the following people:
– Directors/senior UX designers at a design agency which would like to expand to the Chinese market
– Directors/senior UX designers at a design agency which has clients dealing with Chinese consumers
– Anyone who would like to know how to gain Chinese clients as well as how to use UX to promote clients’ products or services in China.
– Anyone who would like to understand how UX can help companies succeed in the Chinese market and also of the UX requirements of Chinese companies
– Anyone who is interested in the development of UX in China and would like to expand their network with UX designers in China
2. Who is the organiser of this tour? Can I trust them?
The UX tour of China is organised by Christina Li at Infinite Interactive. We are excited of our idea of bringing western and Chinese UX practitioners together. This will be the first trip of this kind in Europe.
Christina has previously worked on the EU funded project : Institutionalising HCI in India and China (scroll down to the “previous projects” section), through which she’s gained extensive experience on organising conference and workshops in China.
Here are what people in the industry think of Christina:
“Christina Li has been a wonderful bridge between our communities, first with her work with the uiGarden website that brings together English and Chinese speaking audiences and now with her able assistance in translating this book (The Design of Future Things).” – Don Norman (Nielson Norman Group)
“Christina has been a very committed and helpful administrator on our EU SESUN project, where she has helped us in organizing and translating material for our trips in China. She has always gone beyond the narrow confines of her job specification to deliver a useful and effective service. ON top of that she does all of this work in a relaxed and efficient manner.” – Liam Bannon (Professor, University of Limerick)
3. When is it going to happen?
We will arrive in Beijing in the morning of 12th of September; going from Beijing to Shanghai, then leaving from Hong Kong in the night of 18th of September. We’ll spend 7 days and 6 nights in China.
4. What will we do during the tour?
During this 7 days and 6 nights trip, we will be visiting both design agencies and UX design teams in client side companies in Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou and Shenzhen.
During the visit, we will discuss with the UX designers in China of the challenge they face when designing for Chinese customers and see how it’s different from from designing to the customers in the west. If you are interested in setting up your own design team in China, you will have good chance to find out how design team is run in China, wether as a design agency or running a team within a client side company. There will also be a workshop for you to get hands-on experience on usability testing with Chinese users.
In addition, at the informal dinner with designers in China, there will be plenty of opportunities to network and find anything you’d like to know about UX in China.
5. What is the price and what is included with the price?
The standard price for this 7 days and 6 nights knowledge sharing trip including return flights from London to China is £5,999. It is too late now to take the advantage of group travel tickets, but you can still buy your own international flight tickets and join the trip. The standard price without international flights is £5,499.
This £5,499 will cover:
– Domestic transportation: Beijing – Shanghai, Shanghai – Hangzhou, Hangzhou – Shenzhen
– 4* hotel accommodation at all stops
– 3 meals each day
– Travel between hotels and visiting companies
– Most importantly, all our visits and knowledge sharing experience
6. How many participants in the tour?
The groups is kept deliberately small to ensure an in-depth discussion between the participants and hosting companies. There will be maximum 8 participants in a visit.
7. I’m located outside of the UK, can I still join the tour?
Yes, definitely. You can just join us from China. Price will be the same as joining the trip from the UK without international flights, – £5,499. Please email email@example.com for more details.
8. When is the deadline for booking?
The deadline for booking to attend the tour is 15th of August. If for any reason you’ve missed the deadline, please still get in touch and we’ll see if we can offer any assistance for you to join us.
9. Do you offer any discount to students or any other forms of discount?
Yes. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
10. What is the cancellation policy?
Airline tickets are paid for in full at the time of registration and in case of cancellation, unless otherwise stated, they are non refundable, non changeable and non re-routable. Some suppliers (particularly airlines) may treat a name change as a cancellation and as such will not refund any money.
Prior to balance being collected: Full refund of the deposit
Before 15 August: 50% refund
After 16 August: No refund given
11. What about other boring stuff like passport, visas and health requirements?
You are responsible for checking all these items and ensuring your travel documents are in order
Passport and Visa: You must consult the Chinese Embassy for this information. Requirements may change and you should check for up-to-date position in good time before booking/departure. We accept no liability if you are refused entry onto the flight or into the country due to failure on your part to carry the correct passport, visa or other documents required by any airline or authority . You must have a passport which is valid for six months after your intended date of return.
Health: Recommended inoculations for travel may change at any time and you should consult your doctor on current recommendations before you depart. Health requirements for your holiday destination are outlined in the Department of Health leaflet entitled The Traveller’s Guide to Health (T4), which is available by calling 0800 555 777. It is your responsibility to ensure that you obtain the recommended inoculations, take all recommended medication and follow all medical advice in relation to your trip.
12. This all sounds wonderful to me, how do I book?
Great! Just email email@example.com and we’ll send you the registration form and invoice. Next just meet us at the airport or Beijing!
Anything still not clear? No problems, please contact us directly.